Dental crowns can improve the look of your smile, restoring shape, size, and function to damaged teeth.
If you have a tooth that is broken, chipped, cracked, decayed, or discoloured, then a simple dental crowns procedure may be the right treatment for you.
What Is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a cap that is placed over a damaged tooth, completely covering it and restoring both the look and function of the tooth. Dental crowns are a permanent solution used for teeth that cannot be effectively corrected using a filling. Crowns are shaped and designed to match the look of your tooth, ensuring that they blend in seamlessly with your smile and provide a natural-looking appearance.
Dental crowns are not just a cosmetic procedure. While they restore the appearance of your tooth and smile, they also provide support and structure, preventing further damage from occurring and returning the full function of your tooth.
Types of Dental Crowns
There are many different dental crown types that can be used, depending on your needs:
Ceramic: Ceramic is often used for front teeth as it can provide the most seamless, natural-looking appearance for your teeth.
Porcelain Fused to Metal: With a metal structure, these crowns are more durable and have a stronger bond to the tooth.
Base Metal Alloys: These crowns are made using metals that are resistant to corrosion and oxidation. They are very strong and also involve a simpler procedure, with less of the tooth being removed.
Gold Alloys: Theses crowns provide a stronger, more durable bond to the tooth and are resistant to fractures and other forms of damage.
Our Dental Crown Procedure
At Princeview Dental, we follow a standard dental crown procedure:
- Preparing the Tooth: First, some of the damaged tooth has to be reduced to ensure that the dental crown can fit properly.
- Taking an Impression of the Tooth: Once a tooth has been reduced and reshaped, the dentist takes an impression of the tooth to create your crown.
- Placing a Temporary Crown: Since it can take a couple of weeks to create your crown, a temporary, removable crown is placed on your tooth. Temporary crowns can be personalized to look natural and blend in with your smile.
- Creating the Crown: Over the next couple of weeks, the dental laboratory creates the crown based off the tooth impression, ensuring that it has the right shape, size, and look.
- Securing the Finished Crown into Place: In a follow-up procedure, the dental crown is secured and bonded in place. The dental crown will return the function and look of your tooth.
Looking for a dental clinic to handle your dental care needs? Princeview Dental Group has been a fixture of the Kingsway area in Etobicoke for over 20 years, where we provide dedicated family care in a professional, welcoming, and modern environment. Please call us today at (416)-231-4562.