Does your smile light up a room? Does it give you the self-confidence to face each day? If not, you may want to seek cosmetic dentistry solutions at your local dental office!
A beautiful, healthy smile can make you and those around you feel more attractive and more open to life’s possibilities. This becomes more important as we get older due to natural age-related concerns that affect our oral health, spirit and general well-being.
Age-related dental issues are exacerbated by poor oral hygiene practices. While scheduling regular checkups and maintaining good dental habits can help enhance your oral health, for many people, there are times when dental interventions are necessary to maintain good oral health.
Understanding Common Age-Related Dental Concerns
As we age, there are naturally occurring processes throughout the body that have both a direct and indirect impact on the condition and appearance of our teeth and gums. Connective tissues thin, bones deteriorate, cell renewal slows and our immune system weakens. All of these unavoidable progressions effect the bone and tissue in the oral cavity, leading to serious dental problems. These can include,
- Discoloured or stained teeth: The teeth naturally turn yellow as we age as the protective layer of enamel gradually wears away, exposing the inner dentin substance. Foods and beverages can stain the teeth over time leaving discolouration.
- Chipped or broken teeth: Over time our teeth are exposed to conditions that weaken the enamel, leading to chipped or broken teeth. This can leave the tooth susceptible to further damage, decay and even tooth loss.
- Receding gums: Gum disease, genetics, and poor oral hygiene can lead to the gums receding, resulting in the teeth looking longer and bone and tooth loss. The more elongated the tooth appears, the more serious the receding line is.
- Gaps or misaligned teeth: As we age, our teeth can move and become misaligned, causing speaking and chewing issues in addition to an unpleasant smile. Gaps can lead to serious dental issues as food particles, plaque, and harmful bacteria can build up between the teeth.
Cosmetic Dentistry Solutions for Age-Related Dental Concerns
Your professional cosmetic dentist can recommend the best solution for age-related dental issues by providing you with a customized oral health plan. Whether your teeth are stained, misaligned, broken or missing, there is a cosmetic dental solution for you!
- Tooth whitening for discolouration: Young and old(er) alike, patients of dental clinics such as Princeview Dental Group in Etobicoke can provide the powerful whitening treatments to give you a brilliant smile. Professional teeth whitening procedures can instill a world of confidence.
- Dental bonding or veneers for chipped or broken teeth: Common cosmetic procedures for chipped or broken teeth can involve adding to the teeth a composite resin or placing a porcelain shell over the tooth. Not only do these improve the appearance of your smile but they protect the damaged teeth.
- Gum contouring or grafting for receding gums: Receding gums can be treated with gum contouring or grafting as part of your regular dental care in Etobicoke. This procedure is done to protect the gum pockets from filling with harmful bacteria that can lead to serious oral problems.
- Invisalign, for gaps or misaligned teeth: One of the latest dental appliances to help correct a smile is known as Invisalign, a type of orthodontic treatment. These “invisible braces” are created from a mold of your existing teeth position and designed to gradually shift the teeth into place over a period of time. Check with your general dentist for timeframes and cost of treatment.
- Full smile makeovers and comprehensive treatments: A full-mouth reconstruction is another cosmetic procedure for dental concerns. This type of dental makeover involves restoring all of the teeth of the upper and lower jaw to normal function and appearance.
- Orthodontic solutions like aligners and braces: Aligners and braces are designed to shift the teeth back into proper positioning for better oral health, speaking and chewing. Unlike the braces and aligners from the past, today’s dental appliances are more comfortable and offer a quicker solution to misaligned teeth.
Benefits and Key Considerations of Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry can improve your smile and confidence by treating common dental issues caused by the natural aging process which include,
- Enhanced self-confidence and social interactions: For those that avoid social gatherings or photo opportunities due to their “unattractive” smile, dental procedures can restore your self-confidence to be your authentic self.
- Improved oral health and overall well-being: Cosmetic dentistry is one tool towards improving your overall health. Good oral health helps to protect the immune system, and respiratory and digestive tracts from harmful bacteria that develops in the mouth.
- Increased productivity and success in personal and professional spheres: It is amazing how a healthy and brilliant smile can enhance your self-confidence which translates into improving your professional and personal life.
- Cost and investment in restoring a youthful smile: Investing in your smile is saying “yes” to your oral and overall health. Protecting your teeth and gums helps to protect your physical, mental, and emotional health.
- Longevity and maintenance of cosmetic procedures: With today’s advanced technology, products, and services, your cosmetic dental procedures can last for years to come with proper care and regular dental checkups.
Tips to Achieving and Maintaining a Youthful Smile
- Choose a reputable cosmetic dentist that can create a customized oral health plan for your needs.
- Practice good oral hygiene on a daily basis with flossing and using a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Avoid sugary drinks and food whenever possible to help protect the enamel of the teeth.
- Maintain a healthy diet with fibre enriched fruits and vegetables, cheese, milk, yogurt, and lean meats.
- Schedule regular dental visits every three to six months.
Call Us to Schedule a Cosmetic Dentistry Consultation Today!
Princeview Dental Group offers comprehensive and affordable cosmetic dental solutions for your oral health plan. We provide safe and effective dental care procedures and dental emergency services in Etobicoke.
Contact us at (416) 231-4562 for a personalized cosmetic dentistry consultation in Etobicoke. We are located at, 3052 Bloor Street West in Etobicoke, now located under The Crooked Cue Pub and Restaurant.